Even though we are in uncharted territory everyone at Summers, Rufolo & Rodgers, P.C. wants you to know we are here for you. read more
Summers, Rufolo & Rodgers
Call For A Free Consultation
View Our Practice Areas

What should you do if you have taken Zantac?

As we discussed in a recent blog post, the over-the-counter heartburn drug Zantac has been taken off the shelves. Manufacturers discovered that the drug, and others containing ranitidine, may be contaminated by the carcinogen n-nitrosodimethylamine, or NDMA.

Hearing that a medication you take was recalled can be alarming. So, what should you do if you took Zantac?

1. Do not panic

Any drug recall should be taken seriously. However, they are also common.

In the situation involving Zantac being pulled from stores, researchers have determined that the drug contains more than the regulated amount of NDMA. While this is concerning, some researchers believe the drug contains roughly the same amount of NDMA as common consumable products, including:

  • Alcoholic beverages, such as beer
  • Cheese and meat products
  • Some sources of drinking water

You should stop taking Zantac, but the recall itself should not cause you to worry.

2. Speak with your doctor

Many news sources, and our previous blog posts, state it is a good idea to switch medications to treat your heartburn if you have been taking Zantac. It is helpful to consult your regular physician or another trusted medical professional to:

  • Ask about alternative medications; and
  • Determine the individual health risks you could face.

Your doctor can help you determine what actions you should take.

3. Watch out for dangerous symptoms

According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), overexposure to NDMA can cause:

  • Yellowing skin
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Fever and dizziness

Being aware of the potential symptoms can help ensure you take action and receive essential medical care as soon as possible.

4. Learn more

Besides speaking with a medical professional, you also have the power to learn more for yourself. You can:

Visit the manufacturer's websites: The manufacturers Sandoz and Apotex have provided lists of the specific medications they recalled for you to review. You might call and try to obtain a refund.

Contact an attorney: Learning more about your legal rights is critical. If you have questions you need answered, consult an experienced lawyer.

Learning more about the situation can help reduce the power worry has over you and determine precisely how you will move forward.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Summers, Rufolo & Rodgers
735 Broad Street, Suite 800
Chattanooga, TN 37402-2913

Toll Free: 888-778-6575
Phone: 423-933-2738
Fax: 423-266-5211
Chattanooga Law Office Map

Review Us
735 Broad Street, Suite 800