Whether you’ve just started shopping for the little ones in your life or the gifts are already under the tree, adults with children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews should know just because a toy looks fun doesn’t mean it’s safe.
Many toys hit the shelves every year that pose a risk for injury or are defective. World Against Toys Causing Harm (W.A.T.C.H.) works to identify seemingly non-threatening toys and compile a list of the 10 worst offenders. Their hope is adults will think twice about purchasing these products.
Below are W.A.T.C.H.’s 10 most dangerous toys for 2018:
1. Nickelodeon Nella Princess Knight Pillow Pets Sleeptime Lights. This plush toy that shines night-sky images onto the ceiling contains accessories that can be removed and swallowed, and the batteries may leak acid.
2. Nerf Vortex VTX Praxis Blaster. This toy rifle, which fires plastic discs, puts children at risk of eye and facial injuries.
3. Marvel Black Panther Slash Claw. This plastic claw from one of the year’s biggest movies can cause eye and facial injuries.
4. Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel Superstar Blade. This spring-loaded plastic blade could cause impact injuries to the face and body.
5. Cabbage Patch Kids Dance Time Doll. This seemingly harmless, nostalgic doll has a headband that can be removed and ingested, particularly by kids at an age where they still put toys in their mouths.
6. Zoo Jamz Xylophone. This electronic musical instrument, marketed to ages infant to four years old, includes a drumstick that could block a child’s airway if mouthed.
7. Nici Wonderland Doll: Miniclara the Ballerina. This plush doll is holding a kitten that can be removed and ingested by younger children.
8. Stomp Rocket Ultra Rocket. This plastic rocket can soar as high as 200 feet when children stomp its inflated launcher. As a result, it poses a risk for serious eye and facial injuries.
9. Cutting Fruit. These pieces of magnetic fruit are designed for ages two and older and can be halved with a dull plastic knife, but the knife has the potential to cause blunt trauma and puncture wounds.
10. Chien A Promener Pull Along Dog. The string attached to this wooden dog on wheels poses a risk for entanglement and strangulation.
If you are still finishing your shopping for the children in your life, consider avoiding the 10 toys above. If you’ve already bought gifts and one of these 10 is under the tree, it may be worth looking for the receipt and making a return.