Jimmy F. Rodgers, Jr.
- Asbestos & Mesothelioma
- Labor Law - Union
- Litigation & Appeals
- Mesothelioma & Asbestos
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Products Liability Law
- Toxic Torts
Jimmy's legal career has focused on protecting the rights of individuals against big corporations. His main work is in three areas:
- pursuing justice for victims of dangerous corporate products (mainly mesothelioma and asbestos victims);
- representing unions; and
- advocating for employee's rights.
Jimmy establishes a personal relationship with asbestos victims, and develops an aggressive strategy to maximize compensation for each one of them. Following the path set forth by Jerry Summers, Jimmy has never advocated for mass-screenings of individuals, and instead has relied upon the reputation of him and his firm to develop a solid client base. As a result of this intake system, opposing lawyers are assured that Jimmy's clients have legitimate, medically-sound diagnoses, which in turn allows Jimmy to demand a premium level of compensation for his clients.
Jimmy also takes great pride in representing a large number of labor unions and labor-related organizations. His labor practice includes several union-related trust (ERISA) funds with coverage beyond the boundaries of the State of Tennessee. He has pursued cases/grievances on behalf of unions in federal and state courts, in arbitrations, in contract negotiations, and in matters before the National Labor Relations Board, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the U.S. Department of Labor.
Jimmy has advised and represented many individuals in work-related cases in both state and federal court. The types of cases he has handled include harassment, discrimination, and the Family Medical Leave Act. He has also represented individuals with such claims before the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and its sister state agency known as the Tennessee Human Rights Commission.
Mr. Rodgers civic activities include: U.T. National Alumni Association, Board of Governors member (2001-2004); U.T. National Alumni Association, Hamilton County Chapter Board of Directors member (1995-2004); U.T. National Alumni Association, Hamilton County Chapter President (2000-2001); Chattanooga Area Brain Injury Association, Board of Directors member (1996-2006); Chattanooga Area Brain Injury Association, President (7/03-6/05); Industrial Development Board of the City of Chattanooga (member Oct. 2014 - present; Secretary Feb. 2015 - Sept. 2019; Vice Chair Oct. 2019-June 2021); Chair July 2021 - present); and Christ United Methodist Church (current member; Staff Parish Relations Committee member, 2014-2019, & Chair, 2015-2019; Church Council member, 2015-present, & Chair 2020-2021).
- University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, Tennessee
- J.D. - 05/1994
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- B.A. - 05/1991
- Honors: with high honors
- Major: Economics
- Major: Political Science
- Dale Carnegie Course in Effective Speaking and Human Relations, Chattanooga, TN
- Tyner High School, Chattanooga, TN
- AFL-CIO Union Lawyers Alliance, 2006 to Present
- Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association, 1995 to Present
- American Association for Justice, 1996 to 2021
- Tennessee Bar Association, Present
- Chattanooga Bar Association, 1995 to Present
- American Bar Association, 1997 to 2012
- Federal Bar Association, 2004 to 2012
- Justices Brock/Cooper American Inn of Court, Barrister, 09/2013 to Present
- Tennessee, 1994
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1995
- U.S. District Court Western District of Tennessee, 2015
- named to the 2012 Mid-South Super Lawyers list in the area of Personal Injury Plaintiff: Products
- named to the 2013 Mid-South Super Lawyers list in the area of Personal Injury Plaintiff: Products
- named to the 2014 Mid-South Super Lawyers list in the area of Personal Injury Plaintiff: Products
- named to the 2015 Mid-South Super Lawyers list in the area of Personal Injury Plaintiff: Products
- member, 2016 National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- member, 2017 National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- member, Board of Directors, Chattanooga Bar Association, 2017 and 2018
- named to the 2020 Mid-South Super Lawyers list in the area of Class Action/Mass Torts
- named to the 2021 Mid-South Super Lawyers list in the area of Class Action/Mass Torts: Plaintiff
- named to the 2022 Mid-South Super Lawyers list in the area of Class Action/Mass Torts
- Ombudsman with the Tennessee Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, 2009 to 2021
- Industrial Development Board for the City of Chattanooga, TN, 10/2014 to Present
- Industrial Development Board for the City of Chattanooga, TN - Secretary, 03/2015 to 09/2019
- Industrial Development Board for the City of Chattanooga, TN - Vice Chair, 10/2019 to 06/2021
- Industrial Development Board for the City of Chattanooga, TN - Chair, 07/2021 to Present
- Pi Kappa Alpha
- French v. CBL & Assocs. Props., 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 182649, 2016, E.D. Tenn.
- Am. Heritage Apts., Inc. v. Hamilton County Water & Wastewater Treatment Auth., 494 S.W.3d 31, 2015, Tenn.
- Blackmon v. Ill. Cent. R.R., 2014 Tenn. App. LEXIS 287, 2014, Tenn. Ct. App.
- Trustees of the Iron Workers Dist. Council v. B & D Enters. & Contr., Inc., 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 6658, 2011, E.D. Tenn.
- Nye v. Bayer Cropscience, Inc., 347 S.W.3d 686, 2011, Tenn., No. E2008?01596?SC?R11?CV
- Nye v. Bayer Cropscience, Inc., 2009 WL 3295137, 2009, Tenn. Ct. App., No. E2008?01596?COA?R3?CV
- Trustees of Iron Workers District Council of Tennessee Valley and Vicinity Pension Fund, et al, v. Howell, 2008 WL 2645504, 2008, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Tenn.
- Woody v. A.W. Chesterton Company, 2008 WL 696160, 2008, Tenn. Ct. App.
- Chatt. Fire Fighters Assoc. Local 820 v. City of Chattanooga, 2007 WL 4548222, 2007, Tenn. Ct. App.
- Correll v. E.I. DuPont de Nemours, 207 S.W.3d 751, 2006, Tenn.
- Chatt. Area Regional Transportation Authority v. A.T.U. Local 1212, 206 S.W.3d 448, 2006, Tenn. Ct. App.
- Smythe v. E.I. DuPont de Nemours, 1999 WL 1318519, 1999, Tenn. Workers Comp. Panel
- Murvin v. Cofer, 968 S.W.2d 304, 1997, Tenn. Ct. App.
- Chattanooga Area Labor Council
- Chattanooga Building & Construction Trades Council
- Chattanooga Area Fire Fighters Association Local 820
- Chattanooga Electrical Joint Apprenticeship & Training Committee
- Tri-State Musicians' Union Local 80
- I.B.E.W. Local 175
- I.B.E.W. Local 2113
- Insulators and Allied Workers Local 46
- Iron Workers Local 704
- Iron Workers Local 704 Joint Apprenticeship Committee
- Operating Engineers Local 917
- Plumbers & Steamfitters Local 43
- Plumbers & Steamfitters Local 43 J.A.T.C.
- Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1212
- Graphic Communications Conference Local 197-M
- Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers Local 25
- Knoxville Building & Construction Trades Council
- Tennessee Building & Construction Trades Council
- Iron Workers Local 384
- Plumbers & Steamfitters Local 538
- Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 572 JATC
- Plumbers & Steamfitters Local 102
- Insulators and Allied Workers Local 46 JATC
- Plumbers & Steamfitters Local 538 JATC
- Air Engineering Metal Trades Council