The True Cost Of A DUI … And What You Can Do To Reduce It
Drunk driving arrests are notoriously expensive. According to the state of Tennessee, the average cost to a first-time offender is measured in thousands of dollars. Some of these costs are clearly calculated for you, like fines or restitution the court may order you to pay. Others are harder to measure, like the impact of a criminal conviction on your career, which can make it more difficult to land your next job.
At Summers, Rufolo & Rodgers, in Chattanooga, Tennessee, we work diligently to reduce or eliminate the legal impact of a DUI on your life. By aggressively defending you, we can help minimize the consequences you face. In some cases, depending on the facts, we may be able to keep the DUI arrest off of your record so that it does not impact your career.
Some of the costs you may face include:
- Towing fees for your vehicle
- Payment of restitution to any person who was harmed
- Fines (currently in Tennessee, fines range from $465 to $1,500 for a first-time DUI)
- Court costs
- Driver’s license reinstatement fees, as well as additional fees related to your driver’s license
- Mandatory installation of an ignition interlock device at your expense, which could cost more than $1,000
- Drug and alcohol treatment may be required at the judge’s discretion, and it may not be covered by your health insurance plan
- High-risk auto insurance
- Costs related to missed work while you are in jail, treatment, classes or court
- Attorney’s fees
Minimize The Impact Of A DUI. Contact Us.
If you have been accused of drunk driving, our attorneys are here to help you explore your legal options. Contact us online or by telephone at 423-933-2738 to arrange a consultation with an experienced Chattanooga, Tennessee, criminal defense lawyer.