Collateral Consequences Of A DUI In Tennessee
Drunk driving is among the most aggressively prosecuted crimes in the Tennessee legal system. There is a significant incentive for police and prosecutors to obtain convictions in DUI cases, and anyone who is facing charges should retain the services of a qualified Tennessee defense attorney as soon as possible.
At the law firm of Summers, Rufolo & Rodgers, we represent clients in all types of drunk driving cases. Many people do not understand their rights in these cases and simply plead guilty when there are a number of effective defense strategies that could be presented. In addition, people might also be more inclined to fight a DUI charge if they understood the collateral consequences they could suffer following a conviction. The following are just a few examples:
- No expungement or record sealing: Once a conviction for a DUI goes on your record, it can never be removed. If a prospective employer or any other party performs a criminal background check on you, the DUI conviction will show up.
- Impact on current and future employment opportunities: A DUI conviction can cost you consideration for certain jobs and get you completely disqualified for others. In addition, some Tennessee employers will take disciplinary action against current employees who are convicted of a DUI, up to and including immediate termination. If your job requires a security clearance, a drunk driving conviction could be enough to get it denied or revoked.
- Commercial driver’s license (CDL) suspension: If you have a job that requires a CDL, you could lose your ability to make a living if a DUI conviction leads to the suspension or revocation of your license.
- Impact on educational opportunities: College and university admission is becoming increasingly more competitive, and institutions have the luxury of choosing only the best candidates for entry. Having a DUI conviction on your record can get your application denied, no matter how good your grades are.
- Increased insurance premiums: In addition to all of the expenses associated with the conviction, such as court costs, legal fees and fines, you will also likely be facing substantially higher insurance premiums that could cost you thousands of dollars over the next several years.
- Suspension of your gun permit: If you are convicted of a DUI and you have a gun permit, the permit will be suspended and you will lose your right to carry a gun.
For more information about the collateral consequences of a DUI arrest or conviction, please read our blog post on the topic.
Working To Protect Your Interests
The only way to avoid the negative impact of these DUI consequences is to avoid a conviction. Our attorneys have extensive experience handling all types of these cases. We understand what is at stake in these cases, and we know the best approach to building an effective defense on your behalf.
Contact One Of Our Chattanooga DWI Defense Lawyers
Contact our Chattanooga, TN, lawyers today to discuss your drunk driving offense and learn more about what we can do to help you. You can reach us by phone at 423-933-2738, toll free at 423-933-2738 or via email by completing our online form.